Friday, January 17, 2014

DIY Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath

One of my recent trips to Mom's I snagged her copy of Homemade: A Surprisingly Easy Guide to Making Hundreds of Everyday Products You Would Otherwise Buy. It has recipes for everything from cakes to cleaning solutions. I've been ogling the bath and beauty stuff. I wanted to make the Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath but only ever thought of it when I was already having a bath. A couple nights ago I decided to make it with the girls. Once we put it in the tub they weren't interested in trying it, so I got a nice soak in the middle of the evening before they went to bed.
The recipe was fairly simple to make. The girls were able to help with everything except turning the oatmeal into powder. The only down side was the sediment at the bottom of the tub, but I suspect I didn't grind the oatmeal fine enough.

Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath
(From Reader's Digest Homemade)

1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup oatmeal
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put oatmeal in a small food processor or the blender and pulverize it into a powder. Mix it in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Transfer into a clean, tightly covered, moisture-proof container, where it will keep indefinitely.
Add about 1/2 cup of the Cinnamon Oatmeal Milk Bath to a full tub of warm water and enjoy the soak.

2 comments:

  1. I got a coffee grinder for doing this with oatmeal, maybe that will work better than the blender? Haven't tried it yet. Will do that tonight, now that we have oats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used my mini-food processor. It was like $15 at Shoprite.

    ReplyDelete